Google Ads and Google Analytics have both continuously proven to be valuable tools for performance marketing and reporting. But how exactly does linking Google Ads with Google Analytics provide value?
Linking Google Ads with Google Analytics has helped businesses with significant improvement in reporting. It has made it easier for Marketers and business owners to track the entire customer cycle.
Linking Google Ads with Analytics allows the platform to provide detailed insights into how the user ended up making a purchase or consuming the content.
In simpler terms, by linking both the platforms you will be completing the customer cycle which remains incomplete otherwise.
The Ads platform does not allow its users to see what the customers do after they click on the ad; assessing the click on the ad actually led to a goal completion or the visitor bounced after engaging.
Being unaware of these website statistics, forces the businesses to lose the big picture and does not provide them the useful information which could be at their disposal otherwise.
What Data Can I Find in Google Analytics but Not Google Ads
With both platforms integrated together, you will have access to granular data in your reporting. For instance, Google Analytics has a dedicated section that details the performance of Google Ads which will not be available unless you link Google Ads with Google Analytics.
It is worth mentioning that with this integration you would also be able to track a lot of new data in Google Ads platform. This can be achieved by enabling the auto-tagging feature in Google Ads.
With Google Analytics in place you can track the following metrics, along with a few more using the advanced filter.
- Bounce rate
- Goal completion
- Conversion value
- Average duration
By leveraging the data on customer behavior among other insights, you will be able to make educated decisions that will positively benefit your business.
Furthermore, through this, you can also run your future ad campaigns which are tailored to the audience you want to engage with.
However, you cannot link Google Analytics with Google Ads by default and there is an entire process that needs to be followed. Let’s look into that now.
How to Link Google Analytics with Google Ads — Step-by-Step for Beginners
Firstly, you should have Google Analytics set up on your WordPress website. And the Google Account being used to set up the link must have access to both Google Analytics and Google Ads.
And finally your account must have Admin Access in Google Ads and Edit Access in Analytics.
Although there are a couple of methods through which you can successfully link both platforms. But we have made sure to make the process beginner-friendly and step-by-step.
- The first step is rather simple; just log into your Google Analytics account and click on the “Admin” button which is located in the bottom left corner.
- Once the “Admin” section opens, proceed to select the “Google Ads Linking” button right under the property settings. This is where you will see all the Google Ads that you have set up using your email address. From the list, choose the one which you want to link to Analytics and click “Continue”.
Note: If you do not have edit rights, then you will see a washed-out button in the next step. When you will hover over the button it would state, “Property Edit access is required in order to create a new Link Group.”
- Here you will need to give your link group a title. After that, you need to toggle “on” the view section. This process will also enable auto-tagging on your AdWords account. Click “Link Accounts”.
- Following this step, you will be presented with some information that basically explains that it takes 24-hours to complete the linking process.
Why Should I Link Google Analytics with Google Ads?
Google Ads help you attract potential customers on your landing page but is that all?
Of course not. In order to run any effective digital marketing strategy, we need to conduct a thorough cost and benefits analysis; this is where linking Google Analytics with your Google Adwords can prove useful.
This approach not only provides you a greater range of visitor data but also helps you modify the ad you are running based on their interactions, saving you money while simultaneously improving the conversion rate.
Although Google Ads contain a lot of helpful metrics, which contain the following things:
- Average CPC
In order to unlock additional information regarding your ad campaign, linking Google Analytics can prove especially useful.
- Percentage of new sessions
- New users
- Bounce rate
- Pages / Sessions
- Average session duration
In summary, linking your Google Analytics with Google Ads provides you a detailed report. The report can be generated by comprising the following key points:
- Accumulating the number of visitors which landed on your website through the advert.
- Tracking the visitors’ activities and seeing which pages they visited — based on this you can make decisions to effectively convert them from visitors to actual customers.
- It also helps you get a better picture of how much time did the visitors spend on your website.
- Lastly, you will also be able to analyze where these visitors exited your website.
These four points contain all the information you will ever need to improve your campaigns and make educated decisions that are in line with your business goals.
What is Google Analytics?
As the saying goes, “what cannot be measured cannot be improved”. This is precisely the reason why you should have the appropriate tools for analyzing your business in a proper manner, which is where Google Analytics steps in.
Google Analytics is the world’s leading digital analytics tool that helps you make decisions based which are backed by the compelling data of your business.
Understanding how the consumer is interacting with your website or how much traffic a website is getting can be a very powerful insight; critical for business development and decision making. There are a number of benefits for using it but here are the main benefits of it:
- Measures your website’s performance
- Checking if your marketing strategy is working
- Type of content you should produce or the type of products you should list on your website
- Divides all the customers into further categories i.e. gender, country, device, etc
- Optimize your website pages which lead to boosted conversions
For beginners, accessing and setting up Google Analytics can pose a daunting task. There are plugins that can eliminate a lot of hassle and provide you with the end result; one of the plugins is called Analytify.
Analytify helps users integrate Google Analytics directly in their WordPress admin area. The plugin has a fee of $59, which is extremely economical when we compare it to the value it offers.
According to WordPress.org, Analytify has over 70,000 active monthly users and the plugin has been downloaded over 900,000 times since its inception.
This is the Analytify dashboard which shows an overview of Google Analytics data on one page. For beginners, it offers simplicity and ease of navigation. Here are some of the key features of Analytify:
- Import meaningful data from Google Analytics
- Have access to traffic for every individual page in the admin panel
- Real-time dashboard panel for monitoring purpose
- Create UTM and URL tags anywhere you want
- Track social media traffic sources
Linking Google Google Ads to Google Analytics gives a holistic view of your customer cycle. By getting this additional data, you can identify the areas that need improvement, and the areas which are performing the best.
This simple integration will allow you to outset the competitors and drive value for your business.